Saturday, August 7, 2010

Beer of the Week

Beer of the Week will be a recurring segment here at Hepcatmosphere.  Each week I'll introduce you to a new beer and give a bit of a review.

This week's Beer of the Week: Pabst Blue Ribbon 1844
What is Pabst Blue Ribbon 1844, you may ask?  It is the same PBR you know and love, poured out of its red, white and blue can into one of these fancy glass bottles you see above, shipped to China and sold for $44 USD per bottle.  Here's the NewYorker article about 1844.  One key quote from the Chinese advertisements:  
 
It’s not just Scotch that’s put into wooden casks. There’s also Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer 1844. 
Many world-famous spirits
Are matured in precious wooden casks
Scotch whisky, French brandy, Bordeaux wine…
They all spend long days inside wooden casks.

It also mentions that Pabst Blue Ribbon 1844 should be served in a champagne flute.  Now, I'm pretty  sure the only thing you should be drinking out of a champagne flute is  a fine cheese drink, but that's beside the point.  The point is, I don't think I ever want to travel to China after reading this article.  One of the main reason's I love PBR so much is because I feel so hep when I'm drinking it and one of the major reasons PBR is so deck, is how cheap it is.  One of my good friends, Wrinkles, is fond of saying, "Alabama, Arkansas, I do love my PBR," yet, even he would never pay $44 for Pabst Blue Ribbon 1844.  That's why we live in America, $2 PBR TallBoys.  Afterall, we wouldn't want to be as mainstream as the 1.3 Billion people living in China, I mean way to be original.  
 
So pick up a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon 1844 this weekend, and enjoy not being from China (apologies to our faithful follower Chenchen).

1 comment:

  1. Bahahaha. So ridiculous and half of me thinks you made this up...

    ReplyDelete