Friday, August 6, 2010
Where the Dirty Hipsters Are
This reminds me of a particular post from the blog "Stuff White People Like". Some of the posts on SWPL seem like they belong on "Stuff Hipsters Like", such as Post #127, Where the Wild Things Are. It begins by describing white people's unhappiness with the beloved book being translated onto the big screen. As I was reading the post aloud to a certain hipster friend of mine, she stated that the turning point for her was when she found out Spike Jonze would be directing. Before she even finished her sentence, I got to the sentence "concerns quickly turned into an opiate-like peace when they found out that the film is being directed by white person favorite Spike Jonze." This was too much for me, as she was falling right into the hands of the SWPL writers. Yet if you ask me, the average white person didn't get around to seeing the movie, whereas the average hep cat could charm (or bore) you with an hour long discussion. Perhaps it's time for Christian Lander (creator of SWLP, also a white person himself) to create the hipster spin-off blog, as this is the case with several other posts (i.e. #41 Indie Music, #50 Irony, #101 Being Offended).
Oh, and in case any of you were curious, I was listening to the infamous (strictly amongst hep cats) soundtrack of Karen O and the Kids as I wrote this.
Labels:
Where the Wild Things Are
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment